The Fort Wilderness Line Railroad locomotives were built in 1972 by MAPO, a division of Walt Disney Productions. Several modifications were made to the locos by Disney to increase operating efficiency and give the locos a nicer look. Most notably is the addition of a pony truck, over-sized headlight, and a squared-off saddle tank. Some of the operational modifications include a switch from a coal/wood burner, to diesel fuel with an electronic fuel pump.
|Prototype||Baldwin, circa 1882|
|Classification||2-4-2 saddle tank|
|Fuel||#2 Diesel oil|
|Number of trains||4|
|Train Capacity||90 persons|
|Track Lenth||3 1/2 miles|
|Track Gauge||30" wide, 20 lb rail|
|Minimum Track Radius||150 ft|
In 1973 the completed trains were transported on flat bed trucks from Glendale California to Orlando Florida. Once the trains arrived at Fort Wilderness they were unloaded from the flat bed truck via crane.
The trains operation was tested and details refined before opening day in 1974.NEXT: Glory Days -->